Thursday, January 5, 2012

Polyculture vs. Monoculture

"Rabbi Meir used to say: He that studies Torah with a single teacher, to whom may he be likened? To one who had a single field, part of which he sowed with wheat and part with barley, and planted part with olives and part with oak trees. Now that man is full of good and blessing. But when one studies with two or three teachers he is like him who has many fields: one he sows with wheat and one he sows with barley, and plants one with olives and one with oak trees. Now this man's (attention) is divided among many pieces of land, without good or blessing."

Avos d'Rabbi Nasan Chapter 8

4 comments:

  1. Maybe... but aren't we told in Torah not to sow our field with two different kinds of grain?
    I see the attention divided thing-- good to have focus. Also good to have sufficient space for diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalom and greetings - I have a request if you could please entertain it. I would prefer if you could please shoot me an email at my google account. It is most urgent. It is regarding a comment posted over 7 years ago that haunts me to this day wherein you referenced me by name. Is there an email address I could email you at to discuss this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very urgent. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shalom and greetings - I have a request if you could please entertain it. I would prefer if you could please shoot me an email at my google account. It is most urgent. It is regarding a comment posted over 7 years ago that haunts me to this day wherein you referenced me by name. Is there an email address I could email you at to discuss this?

    ReplyDelete